If you have chosen a train to get you closer to your holiday, the least time-consuming will be to buy a ticket directly at the Main Railway Station - this usually applies even if you are traveling from the outskirts of Prague. On the contrary, if you are arriving from Kladno or Rakovník, it could be much more convenient to get directly to Nádraží Veleslavín (train lines S5, and S54 stop here). However, the Main Railway Station is a reliable transport hub for most connections, especially from more distant places. Let's see how to get to the airport from there!
From Main Station to the Airport via the AE line
The fastest way to get to the airport from Main Station is by bus line AE (Airport Express). The bus departs every 30 minutes (in summer during rush hours every 15 minutes) and stops directly at Main Station in front of the exit at Wilsonova street. What are the advantages of this bus line?
- Smooth connection to Train lines
- Time of the journey is about 25-35 min
- Transport directly to the city center when traveling from an airport
- The price of the transport is CZK 100 (you can pay at the driver's desk even by card when traveling from outside of the PID tariff)
- You can find detailed information about the AE line on the website of the Public Transport Company
Tip: Before traveling to the airport, choose the most suitable route using the Citymove application, which will recommend the fastest route to your destination based on current traffic data. It might be the AE line, but if you are in a rush, you can take a taxi, for example.
From Main Railway Station to the airport by underground (and by bus)
If you are traveling to the airport during rush hour (approximately between 7:30 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. and in the afternoon after 5:00 p.m.), the AE bus journey might take longer. In that case, it may be worthwhile to take the metro from the Main Station and transfer to the A-line on the Muzeum metro station (or 10 min by walk) and from Muzeum continue directly to the Nádraží Veleslavín station (direction Nemocnice Motol). From there, it's only 15 minutes to Václav Havel Airport by bus No. 119, which departs every 3-10 minutes. What are the advantages of this route?
- Total transportation time is about 45 minutes but is not affected by rush hour.
- The standard PID fare applies to both, the subway and bus 119 (the entire trip costs CZK 40)
- You can buy the ticket easily through the Citymove app
- You can find the bus schedule on the Public Transportation website
Tip: Would you like to take a taxi to the airport but don't want to pay the extra "airport tax"? Just get off at Nádraží Veleslavín or any other 119 bus stop. Thanks to the short intervals of the bus line, you will only have to wait a few minutes for the transfer and you will pay only 31 crowns for the rest of the journey by bus.
From the city center to the airport via Zličín
Another option how to get to the airport by public transportation is bus line no.100 from B-line station Zličín. You can get there from the Main Railway Stations underground, transferring to Florenc station in direction of Zličín. Transportation time from Zličín takes about 15 min, but the bus line from Zličín has longer intervals (20 min). So make sure in advance, whether this route is worthwhile for you at the given time.
- Intervals of the bus line 100 are about 10-20 min
- Total transportation time is about 50 minutes
- Fare according to the PID tariff with the possibility of buying a ticket in the Citymove app (even with the metro is 40 CZK)
- You can find the timetable of the line on the Public Transportation website
From the Prague city center to the airport at night: Taxi or night bus
If you are departing at night, remember the last AE line leaves from Main Railway Station at 22:00, the last bus 119 from Nádraží Veleslavín at 00:22 and the last bus 100 from Zličín at 23:40. Then it is only possible to leave the Main Station by night bus 907. But beware of the departure times – it operates at hourly intervals. Conversely, a taxi can cover the route in just 20 minutes and can be ordered via the Liftago service.
- Total transportation time of line 907 from the Main Station is about 40 min
- Transport Intervals are 60 minutes
- Transport time by taxi, including waiting for it to arrive, is about 25 minutes
- The price of a taxi from the Main Station to the airport starts at 436 CZK
To the airport by car: From the Prague city center, within just half an hour with a favorable parking fee
You can also set off to the Airport in your car - for example, if you pick up your fellow passengers from outside Prague at the Main Station and continue your next journey together. Simply dropping off passengers at the airport is free. If you want to park there for the entire duration of your vacation, we have a separate article for you with tips on the cheapest parking at Václav Havel Airport and its surroundings.
- The price of a parking fee for 8 days directly at the airport starts at prices from 740 to 1290 CZK
- Parking fees for the duration of the holiday are the same or cheaper than a taxi trip to and from the airport
Tip: If you are picking up passengers at Hlavní nádraží by car and you know you will be waiting, try the Hlavní nádraží parking complex with the entrance from Wilsonova street. You can also simply park in the purple zone on Opletalova Street (60 CZK/hour), where you can extend your parking at any time via Citymove app.